From time to time I like to make homemade granola. I don't know why I don't do it more often — it's really easy. I don't follow a recipe, so bear with me. This, like many things I make, is a very flexible recipe. All measurements are approximate.
In a large bowl, combine:
- 6 c. organic oats (not quick or thick cut, just the regular ones)
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 t. cloves
- 1/4 c. ground flax seed
It should look like this:
- Add in some nuts and/or seeds (I like raw sunflower seeds and raw, whole almonds) and stir to combine
- Stir in 1-1.5 c. warmed honey or maple syrup (warming it makes it easier to pour and mix)
Spread the entire thing on a large cookie sheet, like this:
- Bake at 375, stirring every 15 minutes or so, for 45 minutes (or until it's the right shade of golden for you).
- Let cool completely. Transfer back to bowl and add in any dried fruit you want (I like dried organic cranberries).
Serve with milk, yogurt, ice cream, or just munch by the handful! Store in the freezer for extra crunchiness.